This is the latest feature to be released on The National Archives Labs and you can use it to locate several kinds of local history resources. You can search by place or by document type to get the full reference, and in the case of the Early Maps and the two photograph collections you can see an image too. The collections you can search are:
- The Dixon-Scott Collection: Photographs 1926-1946 (INF 9)
- Tithe Maps of England and Wales 1836-1903 (IR 30)
- Surrenders of Monasteries and Other Religious Institutions 1518-1552 (E 322)
- School Building Grant Applications 1833-1881 (ED 103) and Elementary and Primary School Digest Files 1854-1984 (ED 161)
- National Coal Board and Predecessors: Photographs 1890-1990 (COAL 80)
- A selection of Early Maps 15th - 17th Centuries
This illustration shows the result of a search with 5km of Wootton Wawen in Warwickshire, revealing some tithe maps, school files and a few photographs, including two of Henley-in-Arden. One of the school files is a Building Grant Application for Wootton Wawen National School (Ref ED 105/53/19 p397); I may have a look at it one day, because I attended that school for a year in the early 1960s.
These records are local history rather than obvious family history resources, but my justification for including them in my family history blog is that good family historians should be interested in local history too. There are some useful guides on a number of local history resources, including schools, villages, monastic lands and more on The National Archives Looking for a place page.